The Silver Hand program helps Alaska Native artists promote their work in the marketplace and enables consumers to identify and purchase authentic Alaska Native art. The seal indicates that the artwork on which it appears is created by hand in Alaska by an individual Alaska Native artist. Only original contemporary and traditional Alaska Native artwork, not reproductions or manufactured work, may be identified and marketed with the Silver Hand seal. The Silver Hand image is protected under Alaska trademark statute and regulation and may only be used by individuals or organizations with Alaska State Council on the Arts’ explicit written permission.
SILVER HAND PERMIT ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible for a two year Silver Hand permit an Alaska Native artist must be a full time resident of Alaska, at least 18 years old, and provide documentation of membership in a federally recognized Alaska Native tribe. The Silver Hand seal may only be attached to original work that is produced in the state of Alaska.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A SILVER HAND PERMIT
For questions please click here for contact info.
To apply for a new permit or to renew an existing permit:
1) Download and complete an application/renewal form, using the link, below.
DOWNLOAD - Silver Hand Application/Renewal Form (PFD)
2) Gather the following materials to include with your application/renewal form
- Documentation that you (the applicant) are Alaska Native: this should include one or more of the following:
▪ Tribal enrollment card showing membership with a federally recognized Tribe;
▪ An official letter from an Alaska Native Village Council or Tribe in which you are a member;
▪ An official letter from a Village or Regional Corporation established under 43 U.S.C. 1606 – 43 U.S.C 1607 (Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971, sec. 7 & 8 confirming membership with a federally recognized tribe; or
▪ A United States Department of Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs Certificate (not required).
- A copy of your current photo I.D. to confirm residency and age of at least 18 years: either a current Alaska State Driver’s License or State of Alaska Identification Card. **Renewing Silver Hand Permit Holders: we must have a current photo ID on file. If you are not sure if your photo ID is in your Silver Hand Permit Holder File, please contact us at (907) 269-6610 and we will look it up for you.
- Images of original work (at least one and no more than 10) for your Silver Hand Permit Holder file. **Renewing Silver Hand Permit Holders: if your style of work has changed since your last renewal, we encourage you to update the images of your work in the file. These may be sent at any time either via email to email@example.com or by mail to our office. Please be sure any images sent identify them as yours by including your name and permit number in the subject of your email, or with a note.
- $20.00 Silver Hand Permit Application/Renewal Fee Currently we can accept check, money order or cash for payment of permit fee. Cash will only be accepted in person
3) Once you have assembled your materials, please send by email, mail, or you can deliver them to our office by appointment.
**Since we are unable to accept electronic payments at this time, payment of Silver Hand Permit Application/Renewal Fees must be delivered in person or by mail. If you send your payment separately from your materials, please be sure it is clearly labeled with a note that it is to go with your permit application or renewal materials.
Mail Silver Hand materials to:
Silver Hand Permit
Alaska State Council on the Arts
161 Klevin Street, Suite 102
Anchorage, AK 99508
Email Silver Hand materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please be sure to include “Silver Hand” and your name in the subject line for any emailed materials. This will help us be sure to keep your materials together.)
Ordering Additional Silver Hand Tags
Current Silver Hand Permit holders are eligible for one hundred Silver Hand tags per year free of charge. To order additional tags at a nominal fee, complete and mail the Silver Hand Tag Order Form with payment to ASCA. Make checks or money orders payable to Alaska State Council on the Arts. ASCA does not accept credit cards or debit cards. Cash will only be accepted in person.
DOWNLOAD - Silver Hand Tag Order Form (PDF)